Combining top-level optical performance with functionality for challenging shoots, the Sigma 500mm F4.0 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Nikon F takes its spot as the flagship in the speedy Sports line and sets a new standard for high-performance telephoto lenses. Uncompromising optical performance and photographic expression, this telephoto lens lets you capture distant subjects, and with a speedy Hyper Sonic AF motor users will be able to easily track fast action. Fully customizable, it allows the photographer to create his or her own specification.
This large lens is designed to be used in some of the most trying conditions and is made from a durable and lightweight magnesium alloy. It is protected from dust and water and uses a brass bayonet mount. It is an ideal choice for photographing many different subjects; birds, wild animals, airplanes, motorsports, and even portraits. And SIGMA’s exclusive software makes the lens extremely easy to customize.
- Water- and oil-repellent coating and available Exclusive Protector - The front of the lens features a water- and oil-repellent coating that allows water to be wiped away easily and helps prevent oil from sticking to the surface. This feature is particularly useful when shooting in a drizzle or near ocean spray. The lens is compatible with the exclusive SIGMA Protector LPT-11 (sold separately), which effectively helps prevent damage to the lens during shooting and maintenance.
- Magnesium alloy barrel - To help minimize the weight associated with a hyper telephoto lens, the lens barrel is made with a magnesium alloy. Both lightweight and tough, this alloy contributes to the outstanding maneuverability of this lens.
- Dust and Splash Resistant Structure - This lens features a highly effective dust and splash-resistant structure with special sealing at the mount connection, manual focus ring, zoom ring, and cover connection, allowing photographers to work in all types of weather.
- Carbon fiber hood - The lens hood is made of carbon fiber, which is both lightweight and strong. In fact, the entire lens is designed to be lightweight for outstanding performance in tough shooting conditions.
- High-precision, rugged brass bayonet mount - The brass mount combines high precision with rugged construction. Its treated surfaces and enhanced strength contribute to the exceptional durability of the lens.
- Tripod socket with 90° click stops - Since photographers often prefer to use a hyper-telephoto lens with a monopod or tripod, the lens features a large and extremely stable tripod socket. Antistatic nickel plating on the socket parts help enhance the quality and durability of the 90° click stops, which makes it easy to switch between vertical and horizontal shooting positions. The click position may be fine-tuned by “de-clicking” with the press of a button and manually adjusting the lens.
- Flare and ghosting reduction - SIGMA’s Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting to help photographers produce sharp and high-contrast images even in backlit conditions. The included lens hood can be attached to block out extraneous light, which can have a negative effect on rendering performance.
- Rounded diaphragm - The 9-blade rounded diaphragm creates an attractive blur in the out-of-focus areas of the image.
- Exclusive low-dispersion glass - Most chromatic aberration can be removed by combining a high-refractivity convex lens element with a low-refractivity concave element. Yet residual chromatic aberration known as “secondary spectrum” may still remain. To minimize this secondary spectrum, which can be a serious issue with conventional lenses, SIGMA lenses feature up to three types of exclusive low-dispersion glass offering superior performance: ELD (Extraordinary Low Dispersion), SLD (Special Low Dispersion) and FLD (“F” Low Dispersion). In particular, FLD glass offers ultra-low dispersion in combination with high transmittance and the anomalous dispersion characteristics of fluorite.
- AF function switch with preset AF modes - The AF function switch allows you to set your own autofocus specification. The lens can remember the focus position of your choice or turn off AF until it is needed.
- Intelligent OS featuring updated algorithm - The Optical Stabilizer (OS) function features an acceleration sensor to ensure even higher precision. Two OS modes are available: Mode 1 for general photography and Mode 2 for motor sports and other applications requiring panning. In Mode 2, the acceleration sensor teams up with the Intelligent OS and its updated stabilization algorithm to deliver effective stabilization while you move the camera horizontally, vertically, or diagonally—regardless of the position of the lens. This feature helps ensure effective panning and outstanding capture of moving subjects.
- Quieter and Faster “Optimized AF” - The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) ensures high speed and quiet AF. With the further enhanced AF algorithm compared to previous models, continuous AF (AF-C) improves the focusing efficiency.
|Lens Construction||16 elements in 11 groups|
|Angle of View||5°|
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||9 (rounded diaphragm)|
|Minimum Focusing Distance||
350cm / 137.8in.
|Maximum Magnification Ratio||
|Dimensions (Diameter × Length)||
Φ144.8mm × 380.3mm / Φ5.7in. × 15in.
*The length of a lens is measured from the filter surface to its mount.
Case, Hood (LH1388-01) and FILTER HOLDER WITH WR PROTECTOR 46MM.
The lens is equipped with a fixed tripod socket.
- Sigma 500mm F4.0 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Nikon F
- WR Protector
- LH1388-01 Lens Hood
- Lens Case
- Limited Warranty